Today, web designers are spoiled for choice when it comes to selecting website building software. One of such webpage builders is BlueGriffon, which is becoming more popular among web designers and creators. You might have heard of it, sure, but we’re here to tell you more about this program, how to use it and whether you should bother downloading it.
What is BlueGriffon?
BlueGriffon is an open-source web editor that you can use to design a website. It is also known as a ‘What You See is What You Get’ (WYSIWYG) editor, meaning that when you work with BlueGriffon, you will be able to have a clear idea or close approximation of what you want your final website design to be. Firefox’s rendering machine, Gecko, powers BlueGriffon.
This program’s first release was in the early 2010s. In its earlier development stages, it had two editors: one for web design and the other for EPUB document creation. In later versions, the editors merged the two into a single product.
BlueGriffon Licenses – How Much do They Cost?
BlueGriffon is available in three versions: the Free, Basic and EPUB versions. The Free account better suited for beginner and intermediate web designers, whereas the basic and full versions, would be more valuable and useful to professionals. There are multiple add-ons that you can include in whatever package you choose, but these add-ons are not free.
A one-time BlueGriffon license purchase for both the Basic and EPUB versions are £75 to £195 respectively. A BlueGriffon license is for a single user on a single computer. Still, you can de-activate an already activated license on your computer if you want to switch users or computers.
If you purchase multiple BlueGriffin Basic or EPUB licenses from the same cart, you will receive a single license key, valid for all users. Otherwise, if you want to have several license keys for whatever reasons, you should buy the programs individually.
BlueGriffon Review: Key Features
BlueGriffon has some pretty cool features that might make working with the software a breeze. Let’s check some of them out:
- BlueGriffon has a Responsive Web Design: This feature was included in BlueGriffon’s version 3.0. Responsive web design is about creating webpages that will render well on multiple devices. Responsive web design will automatically adapt to, and adjust for, different screen sizes. However, it does not come with the free version so if you need it, you might want to consider upgrading to the basic or EPUB versions.
- Dark and Light Theme Options: The program also has the option to select dark and light themes. This feature is especially useful to people with light sensitivity issues. So, you do not have to worry, BlueGriffon’s got you covered! You can switch between black and white background themes to help your eyes adjust and for you to comfortably work.
- Supported by Multiple Operating Systems: Many WYSIWYG programs do not support multiple operating systems. This feature limits the number of users who can use the software. Thankfully, BlueGriffon supports the three major operating systems: Windows, MacOS and Linux.
- Useful Add-Ons: One of BlueGriffon’s most useful tools is the Eye Dropper tool. This tool allows you to choose any colour anywhere on your screen that is not included in the web building program. Another one of the program’s most useful tools is the Cross- Browsing tool. This tool helps you see how your webpage might look in Chrome or Safari.
- Pre-Built Templates: BlueGriffon has many pre-built templates that can help you kick-start your page design. These BlueGriffon templates are extremely useful to beginners who might need some direction. You can also edit these templates to suit your design interest. Or if you are feeling particularly creative, you can build a webpage from scratch.
BlueGriffon Review: Is BlueGriffon Safe?
BlueGriffon is safe for download and is available on many software-downloading sites. However, it will be in your best interest to download the program from its website so that if you run into any troubles, the developers will be able to help you.
Before you download and install BlueGriffon, note that the program currently doesn’t support Windows versions older than Windows 7 and versions of OS X older than Yosemite (10.10). Also, the only Linux distribution that this program supports is Ubuntu 16.04.
How to Install BlueGriffon: MacOS
Follow these steps on how to install BlueGriffon on your MacBook and iMacs:
- Visit the BlueGriffon website and click the “Download” option on the menu.
- Select the OS X (Mac Option).
- A pop-up dialogue box will ask you if you want to download the software. Click on ‘Allow’.
- Click on the downloaded file from your “Downloads” folder. Alternatively, you can access the file from the ‘Downloads’ icon on the top right of your Safari page.
- To install, select and drag the BlueGriffon icon to your ‘Applications’ folder.
- Open ‘Finder’ and click ‘Applications’ on your sidebar.
- Search for the BlueGriffon icon and click on it to open the program.
How to Install BlueGriffon: Windows
Follow these steps on how to install BlueGriffon on your Windows computer:
- Visit the BlueGriffon website and click the ‘Download’ option on the menu.
- Select the Windows option (zip file). The download will automatically begin.
- Right-click the downloaded zip file and in the pop-up dialogue box, select ‘Open in Folder.’ You will be transported to your ‘Downloads’ folder.
- Right-click the folder and select ‘Copy’ from the dropdown menu.
- At the sidebar, click on ‘Local Disk (C:)’. When that folder opens, right-click on any blank area and select ‘Paste’ from the dropdown menu.
- If you are the Administrator, you will need to provide permission to copy this folder. Click ‘Continue’ on the pop-up. If you aren’t, you can paste the folder to another location like ‘My Documents’.
- Once the folder has been transferred, right-click and select ‘Extract’ from the dropdown menu. You can use WinRar or any other file extractor.
- Open the extracted folder and click on the BlueGriffon folder. Look for the BlueGriffon setup (bluegriffon.exe) and send a shortcut to your desktop.
- Once the setup is complete, double click on the desktop shortcut to launch the program.
How to Install BlueGriffon: Linux (Ubuntu)
Follow these steps on how to install BlueGriffon on your Linux computer:
- Visit the BlueGriffon website and click the ‘Download’ option on the menu.
- Select the Ubuntu 16.04 option.
- Click ‘Save File’ in the dialogue box to begin download.
- Click on the ‘Downloads’ icon at the top right corner of your browser. Right-click on the file and select ‘Open in Archive Manager.’ The Archive Manager will read the file.
- Select the zip folder in the Archive Manager and click on ‘Extract’ at the top left.
- Extract the files to your ‘Downloads’ folder.
- Open the extracted folder and click the BlueGriffon icon to launch the program
BlueGriffon Review: The Pros and Cons
This section of the article is probably the most important one to you because it will help you answer your burning question: Is BlueGriffon the right web editor for me? Let’s weigh its pros and cons to help you make your decision.
- Multiple Add-Ons: BlueGriffon allows you to purchase multiple add-ons for a small fee. These tools will equip you to create more visually stunning websites. For example, the extension tool CSS Pro Editor is more powerful than the standard default CSS Toolbox. The Pro Editor gives web designers total control over their creations. The Mobile Viewer add-on allows you to test out your web pages on mobile devices. You will be able to see how your website shows up on mobile phones or tablet devices. You can buy all the add-ons at a discounted price through BlueGriffon’s website.
- Easy User Interface: BlueGriffon has a simple user interface that easy to learn. It’s advantageous for people who have little to no history with coding and web design. There are also many templates you can choose from if you are not ready to build one from scratch. You don’t even have to be a professional coding programmer.
- Supports Multiple Operating Systems: BlueGriffon can run on the three major operating systems: Windows, MacOS and Linux (Ubuntu). Therefore, the majority of computer users are not left out.
- Free of Charge: BlueGriffon is free! Yes, it is! What’s more, even at its least level, you can still create HTML pages. It is very useful to beginners or if you want to cut costs. You might have to pay for other packages if you are more experienced or are providing your web design services to other businesses.
- Lack of Documentation: While BlueGriffon has an easy-to-use interface, if you are new to it, it might take you a much longer time to work your way around it, especially if you are a free user. The reason behind this is because there’s no documentation or manual to guide free users. It costs £7.50 to purchase a close source user manual.
- Affordability: When compared to its competitors, BlueGriffon relatively costs slightly more. Its basic plan costs £89, and its EPUB plan is £190. Other BlueGriffin alternatives like PineGrow’s retails for about £57.
- Lightweight: BlueGriffon doesn’t have as many features and add-ons as some of its competitors (Adobe Dreamweaver). This fact makes it easier for it to run on older systems. However, users are presented with very limited choices.
- Better Suited for Intermediate & Expert Designers: Certain BlueGriffon features can be quite difficult for novices to grasp. For example, it is easy to change the colour of font but many new users most may find some of the program’s style options difficult to understand.
Be sure to check other user reviews to further help make your decision. If you are still not satisfied, then you need more information to guide you. Check out these other BlueGriffon alternatives to see if any of them will be best suited for you.
BlueGriffon Review: Alternative Web Editors
BlueGriffin has a lot to offer and if you are a learner, this WYSIWYG web editor is easy to grasp. But you might be curious about what other web builders and editors can do and if you are getting value for your money. That’s understandable. Let’s have a look at them:
- Adobe Dreamweaver: Adobe DreamWeaver is a WYSIWYG software program that allows you to build websites. You can visually create websites in live view even if you do not know HTML. If you do, you can type it into its code editor. Nevertheless, both approaches will still let you build a webpage. DreamWeaver is always upgrading and adding new features to streamline your work. This program’s price range is between £16 – £6 per month.
- WordPress: WordPress is probably the world’s most popular website builder, powering more than 35% of the world’s websites. That’s a lot! It’s open-source software so everyone can download and install it for free. However, if you want to use it at its optimum, you have to pay for a package that works best for you. Price range: £3 – £34 per month.
- Pinegrow Web Editor: Pinegrow is a software program designed to create new websites or edit existing webpages. The software has a lot to offer to both the novice and experienced web designer. Its simple WYSIWYG platform that is easy to use and has several features and tools to make your work stunning. Pinegrow’s one-time payment costs £56.53, without add-ons. It has other payment options.
- Bluefish: Bluefish is an open-source software program used by web designers and programmers to create websites and program code. It runs on many operating systems like MacOS-X, Windows, Linux and Solaris. What’s more, Bluefish is free.
- KompoZer: Even though there are no more KompoZer updates, many web designers still use it to create webpages. It is very popular among new users, as they would not need technical backgrounds to edit web pages. KompoZer is free to use.
BlueGriffon Review: Final Verdict
This BlueGriffon review is finally complete! What is the final verdict on BlueGriffon after all this research?
BlueGriffon is worth it! It has many useful and relevant add-ons that you can work with. You might have to pay for them, sure, but you will see that its one-time payment option is better in the long run compared to the other programs that have monthly payment options.
If you can get over not having any manual with the free version, you can still take the time to study its interface. You can also check out tutorial blog posts and threads for more information. We hope you have found this BlueGriffon review useful.
Download the latest free version TODAY and try your hands at website building!