Are you finding that Squarespace won’t allow you to switch templates?
In the following guide, we’ll take a look why this can happen. We’ll then lay out step-by-step guides as to how you can fix it.
Each solution varies for different reasons, such as, based on which version of Squarespace you have.
In addition to this, we’ll help you find ways to avoid this issue repeating in the future!
Domain-hosting service Squarespace has over 1 million users worldwide.
Squarespace also caters for hosting, galleries, analytics and eCommerce.
As with most website creation services, Squarespace generally allows you to utilise a wide range of templates, although it depends on which version you use. This means with the correct version you can find the perfect choice for your website!
Whether you want to write a blog, use dropshipping to sell to customers or showcase your artwork, Squarespace can accommodate the creation of a high-quality website and all for a reasonable price!
While Squarespace is a fantastic service, sometimes things don’t always go according to plan.
You may be finding that Squarespace won’t let you change templates. If this is you, don’t fret! Thankfully, there are steps you can take to fix this problem, or you can find an alternative solution.
So, without delay, let’s delve right into it!
Why Can’t I Switch Squarespace Templates?
There are many possible explanations for this problem. The most obvious reason is that you’re simply looking in the wrong place.
Assuming that you are using the appropriate version of Squarespace, namely 7.0. See the next section if you’re a user of version 7.1.
In most cases, these following steps will provide you with a solution:
- You’ll need to prepare your layout changes. Make sure that the new template you choose supports the features that you want to keep.
- Select a design.
- Click on Template.
- Select Install New Template.
- Hover over a template you like and click on Start With.
- Hover over the template and select Preview.
- Take a look at the preview and check if you are satisfied with the layout.
- Click on Cancel Preview.
- Open Main Menu and click on Pages in order to edit your site in preview mode.
- Remove the demo content by deletion.
- Transfer your pages to the other navigation sections from the Non-navigation area.
- Instead of deleting any of your own pages that you no longer need, transfer them to the Off-Navigation area prior to the point that you’re ready to publish your new content.
- Ensure that you’ve set a home page.
- You may customise the template if you wish.
- Select Set as active template toward the bottom of any page on your site.
- Choose Confirm.
With the aforementioned steps, you can completely change the look and style of your Squarespace website!
In regard to step one, some templates support sidebars, background images, banners, footer navigation, headers or footers and an index page. On the other hand, some templates do not.
However, you may find that you cannot access the options needed to start this process in the first place.
This may be because you are using version 7.1 of Squarespace.
Can’t Change Template Squarespace – Version 7.1
Unfortunately, with version 7.1 of Squarespace, you can’t actually change the template.
In essence, this version of Squarespace has just a single template albeit one that can be changed and altered to ‘match’ virtually any hypothetical template or layout you’d like.
There are two approaches you can take to deal with this. Firstly, you could use version 7.1 to adjust your website such that the style appears radically different and gives the appearance of a new template.
Alternatively, you can return to version 7.0 and change templates there.
Here’s how you can change the style of your site to alter it significantly in version 7.1:
- Change the colours and fonts used.
- Try selecting new global styles.
- Add additional pages with a variety of pre-built layouts for the page.
- You can alter the feel of a page by adding new sections.
- Override global styles by employing section styles. This will let you give distinct looks to different sections.
In version 7.0 of Squarespace, there are plenty of templates available, each of which can be customised. You can take advantage of these benefits by switching to version 7.0 if you are currently a user of 7.1.
Can’t Change Template Squarespace – Switching from Version 7.1 to 7.0
Unfortunately, you cannot transfer your website directly from 7.1 to 7.0.
Instead, you’d need to start from scratch. However, you can use the content and code that you have featured on your current website by copying and pasting it across to a new website draft in version 7.0.
You might also like to try the SquarespaceWebsites Tools Extension for support.
With this version of Squarespace, you’ll have access to a large collection of templates!
You should be aware though that there are many advantages that version 7.1 has which 7.0 does not.
So, if you are that eager to use templates, remember that you’ll be using a less advanced version of Squarespace. For instance, when it comes to the design panel, many of the design tweaks that are available in both versions are better organised on 7.0.
To be more specific, they are arranged in a way so that you can alter your site without needing to change many individual tweaks one by one.
With version 7.1 you also have greater control over style settings and the layout of your pages!
Squarespace Won’t Let Me Switch Templates – Other Causes
If you are using version 7.0 of Squarespace, there are several other possibilities as to why you can’t change the template available.
For example, when changing a template, it’s important that the template you want to remove is no longer set to live. If the template is set to live, you won’t be able to uninstall it.
This could, in turn, affect your ability to swiftly use the 16-step guide suggested earlier.
Here is how you can do this:
- Open the Home Menu.
- Click on Design.
- Select Template.
- Set another template to live.
- Hover over the old template and choose Uninstall.
There’s always a risk that instead there is some kind of glitch with your website or account.
If you think this is the case, you should contact Squarespace for support.
Can’t Change Template Squarespace – How to Prevent Issues Repeating
Once you’ve solved the problem as to why you couldn’t change the Squarespace template, you’ll want to avoid it happening again.
Here are some steps you can take to stop this problem repeating:
- Make sure you don’t accidentally sign up to version 7.1.
- Watch out for any changes that Squarespace may make to version 7.0.
- Ensure that you are not allowing bugs and glitches to accumulate with your Squarespace website.
Improve Your Web Content With Lewton Online
We hope you enjoyed our article on what to do if Squarespace won’t let you switch templates!
By signing up to the Lewton Online blog, you can enjoy lots more similar content that can help make your website a success!
We’ve covered topics such as how you can track Google Analytics site speed and how to make money online with ClickFunnels.
Improving your web content is essential for creating a great website, whether you use Squarespace or not.
Ultimately, the broad rules of SEO, PR and sales are universal.
By reading our posts on a regular basis, we can help you on your way to building a high-quality and successful website!